Ceannabeinne cottage is situated on the coast road, 3 miles eastward from Durness.
Its position overlooking the beautiful and remote Ceannabeinne beach makes it one of the most perfectly located cottages in the Scottish Highlands.
The cottage is steeped in history, the last remaining building from the early settlement of Ceannabeinne, the remainder of which having been cleared in the 1840’s. The remains of the original village can be explored from the Ceannabeinne Trail nearby.
The landowner had designated the village to be emptied in the ‘Highland Clearances’ to make way for sheep farming. However, the women folk of Durness tried to resist and rioted against the clearance officers.. Nevertheless,, however the village was eventually cleared and then abandoned.
Ceannabeinne cottage had been the local school. It survived the destruction of the clearances but was eventually abandoned and left derelict until the 1960s, when the cottage was renovated as a private home.
We have been letting the cottage since 1987 and it has become a sought after holiday destination, and is an idyllic romantic hideaway for couples and families.
Wake up to the sound of the waves breaking on the shore below; stroll outside with your first cup of coffee and breathe in that refreshing sea air; then tuck into breakfast by the warmth of the Aga while you enjoy one of the best seascapes in Britain from your kitchen table. In the evening, dine in style beneath open timber beams in the huge sitting room, then gather round a glowing fire and treat yourselves to a wee dram.
You can take a quick tour around Ceannabeinne using this link to a video on : Facebook
This cottage has the following amienities and prices include all bed linen and towels:
- Stunning clifftop seascape location
- Handmade Oak kitchen with Caithness slate floor
- Welcoming double oven oil fired AGA
- Electric double oven, ceramic hob, microwave,
- Tassimo machine, Kenwood mixer and Liquidiser, Slow cooker.
- Dishwasher and fridge freezer
- Washing machine
- Full oil fired central heating
- Master bedroom with hand-made pine double bed with a luxury pocket sprung mattress
- Adjacent bathroom, bath, electric shower and WC
- One pull out double bed and one single bed in sitting room both with comfy mattresses (2 + 1)
- Recently refurbished magnificent sitting room with vaulted beamed ceiling
- Oak sitting room floor
- Featured original stone wall above wood burning stove + baskets of logs.
- Pine breakfast table in kitchen
- Pine dining table in sitting room
- Comfy three-piece suite
- Full Sky TV Package and WiFi
- Children’s cot and high chair available free by request
- Books and games
- Surrounding natural grassed garden (not secure) and terrace seating
- Guests have the convenience of private parking for three cars at the property( EV charger at Smoo Cave)
- We have our own borehole for our water supply.
- We welcome dogs up to a maximum of three at £20 per dog.