Ceannabeinne cottage is situated a little way out of Durness, along the north coast of Scotland and is steeped in history.
It’s position overlooking the beautiful and remote Ceannabeinne bay makes itone of the most perfectly located cottages in the Scottish Highlands.
In the 1840s, the village of Ceannabeinne was designated to be emptied in the ‘Highland Clearances’ to make way for sheep farming. The women folk of Durness resisted however the village was cleared and then abandoned. If you follow the Ceannabeinne Trail, you can see the ruins of this village still clearly visible.
Ceannabeinne cottage somehow survived, and became the local school and home to the Headmaster and his family. Eventually abandoned and left derelict until the 1960s, the cottage was renovated.
We have been letting the cottage since 1987 and it has become a sought after holiday destination, and is an idyllic romantic hideaway for couples and perfect or families who enjoy the beach.
Wake up to the sound of waves breaking on the shore below; stroll outside with your first cup of coffee and breathe in that refreshing sea air; then tuck into breakfast by the warmth of the Aga while you enjoy one of the best seascapes in Britain from your kitchen table. In the evening, dine in style beneath open timber beams in the huge sitting room, then gather round a glowing fire and treat yourselves to a wee dram.
You can take a quick tour around Ceannabeinne using this link to a video on : Facebook
This cottage has the following and prices include all bed linen and towels:
- Stunning clifftop seascape location
- Handmade Oak kitchen with Caithness slate floor
- Welcoming double oven oil fired AGA
- Electric double oven, ceramic hob, microwave,
- Tassimo machine, Kenwood mixer and Liquidiser, Slow cooker.
- Dishwasher and fridge freezer
- Washing machine
- Full oil fired central heating
- Master bedroom with hand-made pine double bed with a luxury pocket sprung mattress
- Adjacent bathroom, bath, bath shower and WC
- One pull out double bed and one single bed in sitting room both with comfy mattresses (2 + 1)
- Magnificent sitting room with vaulted beamed ceiling
- Oak sitting room floor
- Featured original stone wall above wood burning stove
- Pine breakfast table in kitchen
- Pine dining table in sitting room
- Comfy three-piece suite
- Sky TV and Internet
- Children’s cot and high chair available free by request
- Books and games
- Surrounding natural grassed garden (not secure) and terrace seating
- Guests have the convenience of private parking for three cars at the property
- We welcome dogs up to three maximum at £20 per dog.
We are situated just before Rispond, three miles out of Durness, right above Ceannabeinne beach.